(date of last revision: March 27, 2019)
1. Platforms to which this Policy applies
This policy applies to the websites, www.townsendlabs.com (along with any of their sub-domains, extensions, and associated domains) and software provided by Townsend Labs. By using our Platforms, you are accepting the practices described in this Policy.
2. What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that may be stored on your computer or other devices when you visit a website. They are generally used to make websites work, to keep track of your movements within the website, to remember your login details, and so on.
There are different types of cookies, and they can be distinguished on the basis of their origin, function and lifespan. Important characteristics of cookies include the following:
- First party cookies are cookies that are placed by the website you are visiting, while third party cookies are placed by a website other than the one you are visiting. Please note that we do not control the collection or further use of data by third parties.
- Necessary cookies are necessary to allow the technical operation of a website (e.g., they enable you to move around on a website and to use its features).
- Performance cookies collect data on the performance of a website such as the number of visitors, the time spent on the website and error messages.
- Functionality cookies increase the usability of a website by remembering your choices (e.g. language, region, login, and so on).
- Targeting/advertising cookies enable a website to send you personalized advertising.
- Session cookies are temporary cookies that are erased once you close your browser while persistent or permanent cookies stay on your device until you manually delete them or until your browser deletes them based on the duration period specified in the persistent cookie file.
More information on all aspects of cookies can be found on www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note that Townsend Labs has no affiliation with, and is not responsible for, this third party website.
- distinguish between visitors;
- improve the use and the functionality of our website;
- tailor our website and products to your needs and preferences;
- process your purchase orders; and
- analyze how our website is used and compile anonymous and aggregate statistics.
We do not use the collected information to create visitor profiles.
4. What types of cookies do we use?
We may use our own cookies and cookies provided by trusted third parties on our Platforms. Such third party cookies may include:
- Google Analytics (for more info, see here)
Our website uses Google Analytics to collect information about the use of our website. Google Analytics collects information from users such as age, gender, interests, demographics, how often they visit our website, what pages they visit, and what other websites they have used before coming to our website. We use the information we get from Google Analytics to analyze traffic, remarket our products and services to users, improve our marketing, advertising, and to improve our website. We have enabled Google Analytics advertising features such as remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. Google Analytics collects only the IP address assigned to you on the date you visit our website, not your name or other identifying information. We do not combine the information collected using Google Analytics with PD. Although Google Analytics plants a permanent cookie on your web browser to identify you as a unique user the next time you visit our website, the cookie cannot be used by anyone but Google. Google also uses specific identifiers to help collect information about the use of our website. For more information on how Google collects and processes your data, visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/You can prevent Google Analytics from using your information by opting out at this link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
- Google Ads
To opt out of Facebook’s collection and use of information for ad targeting visit: https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217
- Mailchimp (for more info, see here)
Further, we may also use web beacons (or clear GIFs) and other similar technologies in addition to, or in combination with, cookies. A web beacon is typically a transparent graphic image (usually 1 pixel x 1 pixel) that is placed on a website or in an email and it helps us to understand the behavior of visitors of our website. We tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers" personally identifiable information. We use clear gifs in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. More information on web beacons can be found on http://www.allaboutcookies.org/web-beacons/. Please note that Townsend Labs has no affiliation with, and is not responsible for, this third party website.
5. How can you control cookies and web beacons?
Most internet browsers are set to automatically accept cookies. Depending on your browser, you can set your browser to warn you before accepting cookies, or you can set it to refuse them. Please refer to the ‘help’ button (or similar) on your browser to learn more about how you can do this.
Disabling cookies may impact your experience on our websites.
If you use different devices to access our websites, you will need to ensure that each browser of each device is set to your cookie preference.
More information on how to manage cookies is available from: http://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/. Please note that Townsend Labs has no affiliation with, and is not responsible for, this third party website.
In addition, you may opt-out from cookies by visiting the following websites and selecting which company cookies you would like to opt-out from: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/#completed and http://www.youronlinechoices.com/.
Please note that Townsend Labs has no affiliation with, and is not responsible for, these third party websites.
6. Contact for more Information
Hopefully this policy has clarified things for you and as was previously mentioned if there is something that you aren’t sure whether you need or not it’s usually safer to leave cookies enabled in case it does interact with one of the features you use on our site. However if you are still looking for more information, feel free to contact us via our support page https://townsendlabs.com/about/contact/.